A POLICE investigation is underway after a six-year-old girl was indecently assaulted in the toy section of a major department store in Ballina on Tuesday afternoon.
About 4pm the girl and her younger brother were in the toy section of the Big W store at Ballina when they were approached by a man.
It is understood the man was not known to the children.
Police have been told the man indecently assaulted the girl, before she and her brother ran away to find their mother who was nearby in the shop.
The mother notified store security and police.
Police from Richmond Local Area Command attended and conducted a search of the area, but could not find the man.
The girl was not injured during the incident and she did not require medical treatment.
Detectives from the Child Abuse Squad at Ballina are now on the hunt for a man who has been described as having a slim build, with a dark olive complexion, aged in his 40s, approximately 185cm tall or taller.
The man is believed to have a large gap between his front teeth and teeth missing either side of the two front teeth.
At the time of the incident he was wearing a grey T-shirt, light grey shorts and thongs.
Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers anonymously on 1800 333 000 or click here.
THINGS TO TEACH YOUR CHILDREN
- Make sure your parents or another adult you know knows where you are at all times.
- Always walk straight home. Walk near busier roads and streets.
- Learn about safe adults you can look for and talk to - police officers, teachers at school, adults you know and trust.
- Don't talk to people you don't know and never get into a car with someone you don't know.
- If someone tries to grab you, yell out, "Go away, I don't know you". This lets other people know you have been approached by someone you don't know.