Sport

Botha says he was offered $150k to throw Sonny fight

FRANCOIS Botha has claimed that he was offered $150,000 to throw his controversial loss to Sonny Bill Williams last Friday night.

Botha, speaking from Durban, told Radio LiveSport that he was picked up from his hotel on the Tuesday night before the fight and taken to a park where he was asked to lose on purpose, he alleges.

"My cellphone was confiscated and given to the guy in the car and I was being walked. During this walk I was made an offer of $150,000 to throw the fight," Botha said.

"I just said 'No I can't do it'."

Why Botha has left it until five days after the fight to make the serious claim is unclear.

He claims he told a close friend about the alleged offer on his return to the hotel.

"As I came into the hotel he could clearly see that I am very upset. I tell him I need to see him and talk about this."

"He said 'Fran if you ever think about doing this I'm going to get on a plane and go back to South Africa because I don't want to be part of this'.


I told him straight 'Listen I'm not doing this. I'm a Christian and I cannot do this'.

"Everything there, I wasn't supposed to win. Everyone was against me, then the drugs testing, then being 12 rounds...then cut down to 10."

Botha, who reportedly failed a drugs test on the eve of the fight claims he had another test on his arrival back in South Africa and passed.

According to reports the 44-year-old submitted a urine sample on Tuesday last week, the Sydney Morning Herald said, and the test revealed the presence of phentermine, a banned stimulant.

"I did my drugs test and the results are all clear."

Botha claims the drug testing process the week before the fight was done by a relation of Khoder Nasser.

"They called me on the Tuesday, I did the drug testing in the morning and the way I went and did the drugs testing it was suspicious probably because it was a small room.

"I did the urine and I've done other drugs test in my career and you usually do sample A and sample B. It gets sealed.... the same with the blood. This wasn't done I only did one test and the blood was not regulated," Botha said,

"As far as I know only the Boxing Commission of Australia can do this test and it wasn't done by the Boxing Commission of Australia.

"This was done by Khoder Nasser's brother or his nephew, somebody like that - a relation to him."

SBW-Botha controversy timeline

Last Tuesday morning - Botha takes drugs test.

Last Tuesday evening - Botha offered money to throw fight, he alleges.

Thursday - At the weigh-in Williams says Botha will do "12 rounds pretty easy".

Friday - Williams wins fight by judges decision. The bout lasts 10 rounds, when many expected a 12-round fight.

Saturday - Williams tweets 'We both knew it was a ten -rounder'. TAB refunds all 'pick the round' bets on the fight.

Monday - Sydney Morning Herald reports that Botha's drug test revealed the presence of phentermine, a banned stimulant.

Today - Botha alleges to Radio LiveSport he was offered money to throw the fight.

- nzherald.co.nz

Topics:  boxing, editors picks, sonny bill williams



Hare Krishna founder still celebrating life

Makunda Goswami is one of the original devotees of the Hare Krishna movement.

Meet the man who took the movement around the world

Organisers postpone new country music festival

Australian music megastar Kasey Chambers will be playing at the Sawtell RSL on Friday.

Mur'bah's Country Roots Festival cancelled

Council's $200k woes: what cops are doing about it

NSW police at coffs harbour boat ramp, arrest , gun, shots, handcuffs

Photo: Trevor Veale / The Coffs Coast Advocate

Thieves consider Tweed Council to be a "soft target"

Latest deals and offers

Organisers postpone new country music festival

Australian music megastar Kasey Chambers will be playing at the Sawtell RSL on Friday.

Mur'bah's Country Roots Festival cancelled

The Bachelor host: this year's season is a cracker

The Bachelor host Osher Gunsberg.

GUNSBERG says tonight will be "the best night of TV of the year".

McClymonts hit the road to mark special milestone

The McClymonts will play Twin Towns in August as part of their 10-date, 10-year celebration tour.

A decade of gold for Grafton sisters.

Kerri-Anne Kennerley to Sonia Kruger: "Stay brave"

She said her television peer should "stay brave"

Swimwear designer looking for love on The Bachelor

Noni Janur on her first day of filming.

The 25-year-old is one of 22 women vying for Richie Strahan’s heart

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

Massive residential 9-storey high-rise hit by delays

An artist’s impression of the eight-storey-high apartment complex that Bernoth Holdings wants to build in South Toowoomba, next to the City Golf Club.

Developer struggles to get approved high-rise development started