News

Crash victim's phone had half-written text message on it

Paula Jessep died in a head-on crash three days before last Christmas. Photo / Supplied
Paula Jessep died in a head-on crash three days before last Christmas. Photo / Supplied

A POLICE officer has told how he picked up the phone of a driver killed in a road crash and found a half-written text message on it.

The inquest into the death of Paula Jessep, 37, in Rotorua yesterday heard how she died on December 22 last year when her Toyota Rav 4 collided head-on with a Nissan Sunny on State Highway 1 north of Tirau.

Ms Jessep was alone and the Nissan was carrying three people, all of whom were injured.

Although it was raining heavily at the time, police suspected she had been texting and driving, which became illegal on November 1, 2009.

Senior Sergeant Fane Troy said when he arrived at the scene, he found Ms Jessep's cellphone in the driver's footwell of her car.

"I opened the phone as there were messages showing on the outside screen. When I opened the phone, I noted that it opened to a text message that was half-written."

Mr Troy said he read the received and sent messages, and it appeared a text conversation had been going on.


He said the wet roads did not contribute to the crash.

Coroner Wallace Bain asked how many text messages Ms Jessep had sent in the 45 minutes it would have taken her to travel from Rotorua, her starting point, to Tirau.

Mr Troy said he counted 19, the last sent about 15 minutes before the crash.

Dr Bain said that while she might have pulled over to send some of the messages, the number showed she had been sending texts while she was driving.

"We know she was texting and driving but whether she was at that particular stage."

Two young women injured in the crash have started an anti-texting and driving campaign.

Ms Jessep's son Eliot Jessep, 17, said he had turned down several requests to join it.

"I'm not thrilled about it because it puts my mum in a bad light."

He said he believed his mother could have been distracted by several things, and it wasn't necessarily texting that caused her death.

"What stood out to me was how the heater was sitting. This may not sound like a big thing but if she was driving in a hot car, that would make her a lot more tired and distracted.

"She was in Rotorua earlier in the week for a funeral and she would have been very tired."

Eliot Jessep said he did not think anyone could be 100 per cent sure texting and driving had caused his mother to crash. He said the cause of death should be noted as being "distracted in general".

Dr Bain reserved his decision.

There have been 28 phone-related road deaths since early 2007.

Last month, the Herald counted 29 people in the space of an hour using phones while they were driving north through Auckland's 80km/h central motorway junction.

Anyone using a handheld cellphone while driving can be fined $80 and get 20 demerit points.

TEXTING DEATHS

May 2006: A man dies after crashing car into a power pole. Coroner later finds he was distracted by a series of text messages.

September 2008: A Mid-Canterbury teenager was allegedly sending and reading text messages before his sports utility vehicle crashed into a car, killing two people.

March 2010: A 21-year-old man admitted being distracted by a text message when he drove into and killed a 93-year-old woman on a Hastings pedestrian crossing.

July 2010: A Rotorua teenager denies police claim he was texting moments before a crash in which 11 people were hurt, one fatally.

- THE DAILY POST

Topics:  crash victim, editors picks, fatal, mobile phone, text message



Surfer's shark tale: 'That's when it's come straight at me'

Pictured at Kingscliff this morning Rodney Clark has survived a Great White encounter.

"I lost sight of my son because a wave hit him"

Sleeping rough for Fred's Place

ALL RUGGED UP: From left, Lenny McLennan, Jason McDonald, Gerard Robinson, Gordon Rhodes and Stuart Burrows prepare for Fred's Place Sleep Out.

Tweed locals show support for homeless by sleeping outside in boxes.

Latest deals and offers

#SaveMarinaJoyce: How ISIS theory took over youtube channel

One young Youtuber accidentally gave rise to a conspiracy theory

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

Massive residential 9-storey high-rise hit by delays

An artist’s impression of the eight-storey-high apartment complex that Bernoth Holdings wants to build in South Toowoomba, next to the City Golf Club.

Developer struggles to get approved high-rise development started