POLICE are reminding people that double demerit points apply and officers are out in force.
Since Operation Safe Arrival began at 12.01am on Friday two people had been killed on the state's roads and 142 people had been charged with drink driving.
NSW Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley said officers are targeting speeding, drink driving, seatbelt and other traffic offences.
Comm Hartley said too many motorists are still drink driving.
"While fewer people have been charged during this operation with drink driving than last year, there are still far too many people doing it," he said.
"Every time someone has a drink and gets behind the wheel they are putting their lives and the lives of innocent people at risk."
The operation finishes at 11.59pm on January 4 with officers targeting speeding, drink driving, seatbelt and other traffic offences.
Since the start of the operation on Friday police have conducted 148,945 breath tests (12,099 more than last year) with 231 charges laid (56 fewer than last year).
Double demerit points will be in place until 11.59pm on Tuesday January 1 for speeding, seatbelt and helmet offences.
Police are also reminding motorists to be patient on the roads this holiday season with traffic bottlenecks occurring at hotspots on the Pacific Hwy including Woodburn and Bangalow.
NSW Transport Management Centre spokesman David Wright said motorists were also experiencing heavy delays northbound on the Pacific Hwy.
Northbound queues of up to 10km have been seen at Bulahdelah and up to 7km at Kempsey.
"Heavy traffic may also be experienced at on the F3 freeway, also on the Pacific Hwy at Hexham, Macksville and Coffs Harbour to Woolgoolga," he said.