TWEED firefighters are calling for smokers to stop throwing their smouldering cigarette butts out of car windows.
Tweed Heads Fire Station station officer Steve Sharp it was a dangerous habit bound to lead to devastation.
"With low humidity and 27 degrees at ground level it can certainly ignite a fire," he said.
The unnecessary fires result in officers being called out multiple times a week.
"At this time of year we get called out two or three times a week," he said.
"It is a punishable offence; it's littering and completely ridiculous at any time of the year let alone bush fire period."
Officer Sharp said people who witness motorist flicking their butts on the road should report it to police.
"There are hefty fines to those caught," he said.
"It is an issue and we don't want people driving down the freeway and a butt lands in a cane field."
More often than not the fires are started by a small smouldering ember from a cigarette.
A 2009 study by University of Technology Sydney student Jennifer Dainer found cigarette butt scan cause roadside fires as well as bush fires.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.