Updated 12.04pm, Sunday: A FIRE which destroyed the Mount Warning Hotel at Uki on Saturday night is not being treated as suspicious and no lives have been lost.
At about 11pm on Saturday the Uki unit of the Rural Fire Service (RFS) got a call to tell it the town's pub was ablaze.
The firefighting crew was on the scene just 15 minutes later, but it was already too late to save the two-storey timber hotel.
Uki RFS Captain Frank Zambelli said the pub just went 'kaboom.'
He said the fire started in the electrical box which was located on the landing of an internal wooden staircase.
Uki resident Kimberly Fordham watched the 100 year old pub burn.
She said most of the town left their homes to witnesses the blaze which burned out of control until about 2am.
Fighting back tears, Ms Fordham said everybody in Uki was in shock.
"This morning it has hit everyone. People have been emotional," she said.
"Everyone is pretty devastated.
"As soon as I saw the glow in the sky I knew it was the pub
"It went up like a tissue."
NSW Fire and Rescue units from Murwillumbah and Tweed responded to the fire with RFS units from Uki, Murwillumbah, Kingscliff and Tyalgum.
Initial report, 9.28am, Sunday: Uki residents are in shock this morning after the town's pub, the Mount Warning Hotel, was gutted by fire overnight.
Firefighters fought the blaze which quickly engulfed the timber building.
A video posted on YouTube shows a group of firefighters trying to extinguish the massive flames which stretched well above the roof of the pub.
Taken in the middle of the night, the video shows the entire pub on fire.
More details to come.
- Do you know more? Leave your comments below.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.