News

Lifesavers won't give up on dad

Police and surf lifesavers at the command centre help scour Peregian Beach for the missing father of two.
Police and surf lifesavers at the command centre help scour Peregian Beach for the missing father of two. Brett Wortman

THE surf lifesaving season has ended, but volunteers will be back today to continue the search for a Brisbane dad missing in surf off Peregian Beach.

About 15 lifesavers from surf clubs across the Sunshine Coast put their hands up to continue looking for the missing Brisbane father of two.

They have vowed to stay out today for as long as they can.

The lifesavers will join at least 20 emergency services personnel.

The 37-year-old man was on a day trip to the Coast with his wife and seven-month-old daughter when he went missing late on Sunday.

His wife had stopped to feed the baby when the man, of German origin, entered the water for a final swim before heading home.

He has not been seen since.

While the search continued yesterday, a low-key event which had already been planned at the Coolum Beach SLSC to show respect for those who had died in the surf, called for a prayer for the family of the missing man.

About 30 volunteers from the club attended the service.

Surf Life Saving Queensland Sunshine Coast services co-ordinator Aaron Purchase said to have volunteers put their hand up when the season was over was incredible.

"We've got at least 15 who want to help," he said.

"It's fantastic ... they've put in a great effort so far and it's great that they're willing to come back.

"There is no obligation to them. It's all volunteer work and the season is over. We're very thankful for their determination."

The 2010-11 surf lifesaving season was fatality-free. In 2009-10, two people drowned off Coast beaches.

Mr Purchase said a 49-year-old surfer's death at Moffat Beach in February was not taken into account because the victim was believed to have suffered an underlying medical condition.

District inspector Mark Henderson said the search would continue in full force at first light today.

He said beach patrols had been expected to work throughout the night.

Insp Henderson read a short statement from the family, thanking surf lifesavers, emergency services and the people of Peregian for their effort and support.

"The devoted husband and father of two will be sorely missed by family on two continents," the statement concluded.

The man's wife has been supported on the Coast by her sister and brother-in-law.

Family members in Germany have been kept up-to-date with the situation.

Insp Henderson said the search would be reassessed today.

Topics:  missing person, peregian beach, surf, surf life saving



Vandalism costing ratepayers $3500 a week

The cost of this one-night raid on a Kyogle Road worksite was $49,000.

Tweed council general manager Troy Green is at his wits end

Offal: yucky but awfully lot to offer

Offal is also a great super food.

Offal: yucky but good for you

Latest deals and offers

The Bachelor host: this year's season is a cracker

The Bachelor host Osher Gunsberg.

GUNSBERG says tonight will be "the best night of TV of the year".

McClymonts hit the road to mark special milestone

The McClymonts will play Twin Towns in August as part of their 10-date, 10-year celebration tour.

A decade of gold for Grafton sisters.

Kerri-Anne Kennerley to Sonia Kruger: "Stay brave"

She said her television peer should "stay brave"

Swimwear designer looking for love on The Bachelor

Noni Janur on her first day of filming.

The 25-year-old is one of 22 women vying for Richie Strahan’s heart

Three reasons your mind will be blown this week

Alan Dale and Jacki Weaver in a scene from the TV series Secret City.

THREE shows on Foxtel to make your mind boggle.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

Massive residential 9-storey high-rise hit by delays

An artist’s impression of the eight-storey-high apartment complex that Bernoth Holdings wants to build in South Toowoomba, next to the City Golf Club.

Developer struggles to get approved high-rise development started