News

Burnt by my barbecue

Jesse Lewis with the fuel can and barbecue at his home where he suffered burns.
Jesse Lewis with the fuel can and barbecue at his home where he suffered burns. John Gass

A TWEED Heads man was hospitalised with severe burns earlier this week after kicking a can of fuel into an open barbecue.

Jesse Lewis, 21, was cooking with friends in his Tweed Heads backyard about 9pm on Monday when he accidentally knocked over a jerry can of fuel sitting uphill from the fire, sending the can rolling towards the flames splashing him with fuel.

The can's lid was not properly secured and a trail of fuel provided a direct path to his petrol-soaked body, setting him on fire for seconds as he screamed for help.

Dropping to the ground, Mr Lewis rolled to extinguish the fire as his friends threw a wet towel over the inferno to contain the blaze.

He was driven to hospital by his friends in severe pain where he was diagnosed with second-degree burns and directed to see burn specialists at The Royal Brisbane Hospital.

Mr Lewis was released from hospital and told the Daily News of the accident, hoping it served as a warning to other Tweed residents.

"I really wish I'd been more careful; it was just insane," Mr Lewis said.

"Hopefully this accident works as a warning and someone else can learn from my silly mistake."

Mr Lewis said the pain from his injuries was horrific and that his accident had been a complete wake-up call.

"I was in so much pain in hospital I broke the bed from tensing my feet against the rail. I've never felt anything like it and I never ever want to again.

"I just should have been more careful; simple as that."

A fire ban is currently in place for the Tweed shire due to high danger conditions and unprecedented dry weather.

Topics:  accident, barbecue, burn, first aid, hospital



Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Funding cuts unfairly hit region

Belinda Robinson.

Cuts "unfairly target" regional universities

Student life is tough but good

Pottsville resident Jacelyn Brown, 20, is in her final year of a nursing degree.

Gone are the days of students hamming it up and partying

Fruit-picking golfer targets Europe

Sheridan Gorton has big dreams to take on the world after turning professional in October.

Big dreams for Tweed golfer.

Latest deals and offers

Perfect time to invest in Northern Rivers property

The Northern Rivers rental market is tighter than Sydney making it the perfect time for investors to get better returns out of property than superannuation or banks deposits.

Low interest rates and tight rental market are prime time to invest