News

Man pleads not guilty on hold-up

THE MAN charged following an attempted armed hold-up at a Tweed Heads South McDonald's store has pleaded not guilty.

Mathew Davis, 22, appeared in Tweed Heads Local Court yesterday and was granted strict conditional bail.

Police reports state a man, armed with an iron bar, walked to the drive-through serving window of the store in the early hours of Sunday morning and demanded money from the attendant before leaving along Minjungbal Dr when staff refused his demands.

Passing highway patrol officers arrested Davis after staff called police.

They found a socket spanner and knife on him when he was searched.

Davis' defence solicitor said Davis denied the allegations and that he had been fishing across the road.

He said Davis was in posession of the knife and spanner for fishing only and that he had gone across the road to get a burger before being arrested.

The court heard he was heavily intoxicated at the time.

Magistrate Michael Dakin granted bail provided Davis reports daily to police, doesn't go to the McDonald's store and surrenders $1000 in surety.

An acceptable person must also post $1000 in surety.

The matter was adjourned until July 23.

Topics:  attempted armed robbery, crime, mcdonald's, police, tweed heads local court, tweed heads south


Local Real Estate

finda logo
Featured Real Estate
One in Three!! View Sat... Interest above...
Unit 2 1 1
Waterfront Oasis in... AUCTION
House 3 3 3
ROOM TO MOVE! View Sat... Interest above ...
House 3 1 1
RESORT STYLE LIVING! Interest above...
House 6 4 2

Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.


Marketplace

Special Offers & Promotions

Compare & Save