Sport

Quinn will return from injury wearing a Newcastle jersey

Anthony Quinn of the Storm passes the ball during a Melbourne Storm NRL training session at AAMI Park on September 25, 2012 in Melbourne, Australia.
Anthony Quinn of the Storm passes the ball during a Melbourne Storm NRL training session at AAMI Park on September 25, 2012 in Melbourne, Australia. Quinn Rooney / Getty Images

THE wheel has turned full circle for former Melbourne Storm premiership player Anthony Quinn who agreed to a one-year contract with the Newcastle Knights on Monday.

The 29-year-old, who played for the Storm in the 2007 and 2008 grand finals, but missed 2009 and again last year because of a horror run with injuries, faced the prospect of returning to club football after not being offered a contract in Melbourne.

He took up the offer of a trial with the Knights, that decision paying dividends.

Newcastle CEO Matt Gidley said he was thrilled Quinn, who played 103 games for the Knights after making his debut in 2002, would finish his NRL career back where it all started.

"It is fantastic we can bring him home," Gidley said.

"He can play on the wing, in the centres and even in the second row, so his versatility will be a great addition to the team.

"He is very well liked, has a superb work ethic and he is just the type of player we want to have around the club."

Quinn has played three State-of-Origin matches for New South Wales.

Topics:  injury, melbourne storm, newcastle knights, nrl, rugby league



Mooball plans on the moo-ve

BIG PLANS: The village of Mooball from above.

Big plans for he quaint village of Mooball have the green light

Tweed United gunning for a top-four, finals’ finish

Tweed United captain and top goal scorer Michael Kolovos and his side are hell-bent on a top-four finish in season 2016.

"Our Destiny is in our own hands."

Latest deals and offers

WATCH: News reader tries her hand at hardcore shooter, Doom

Veteran journo and noob gamer takes a shot at Doom

What's on the small screen this week

MasterChef Australia's final four contestants, from left, Harry Foster, Elena Duggan, Elise Franciskovic and Matt Sinclair.

MASTERCHEF makes way for The Bachelor on Ten's reality TV slate.

Guy Sebastian a hit at Splendour in the Grass

Guy Sebastian performs at Splendour in the Grass with Paces.

REALITY TV judge a hit with festival crowd.

Superheroes of the big screen enjoy sounds of Splendour

CHRIS Hemsworth and his Avengers mates drop by Byron festival.

Dynamic pics from Splendour Day 1

The Strokes perform at Splendour in the Grass 2016. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

Check out the latest pictures from Splendour in the Grass.

Bindi Irwin: 18 magic photos to mark her 18th birthday

Bindi Irwin with a python.

Photos: Bindi Irwin from babyhood to 18

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

Massive residential 9-storey high-rise hit by delays

An artist’s impression of the eight-storey-high apartment complex that Bernoth Holdings wants to build in South Toowoomba, next to the City Golf Club.

Developer struggles to get approved high-rise development started