ONLY 6% of Australians eat the recommended two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables each day.
After a winter of hibernation and comfort food, National Nutrition Week 2012 this week is the ideal time to improve eating habits.
"Before summer there's a window of time to check whether you've gained some weight over winter, to re-evaluate your eating habits and to think about some healthy snacks and meals that you can enjoy when you're out and about this summer," dietician Terrill Bruere said.
Summer snack ideas
- Sprinkle half a punnet of berries with fresh mint for afternoon tea.
- Make a fresh fruit salad.
- Have a small wholemeal roll with squashed banana.
- Slice melon and wrap in a thin prosciutto slice.
- Have a dried fruit mix with cranberries, blueberries, figs and dates.
- Try carrot or celery sticks with low fat tzatziki or hummus.
- Slice avocado on toast with rocket and lemon juice.
- Mix tuna, natural yoghurt and herbs spread onto celery sticks.
- Choose sushi on the run.
- Add cheese, lean meat or tuna to salad with toasted seeds or nuts.
- Wholemeal toast and baked beans.
- Natural or low fat yoghurt.
- Fruit smoothie with low fat milk or yoghurt - add mint, cinnamon, lime juice or honey.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.