FIRE DESTRUCTION: A large blaze destroyed a shed in Gracemere after an electrical fault sparked a fire in the engine of the family’s new ute. Inset: Scott Vidler and his mother Eileen Vidler in front of their shed.
FIRE DESTRUCTION: A large blaze destroyed a shed in Gracemere after an electrical fault sparked a fire in the engine of the family’s new ute. Inset: Scott Vidler and his mother Eileen Vidler in front of their shed. Rachael Conaghan

$110,000 new ute goes up in flames in Gracemere fire

AN ELECTRICAL fault in a Gracemere family's new $110,000 ute has sparked a fire that destroyed their three-bay shed and everything in it.

Just before 3pm yesterday Scott Vidler was inside his home on Zimitat St when he smelled the smoke.

When he came outside and saw the flames coming from inside the shed, he called Triple 0 while his father started fighting it with their garden hose, with help from their neighbour.

Scott said the flames soon reached almost the same height as their two-storey house, which luckily suffered only minimal damage despite being only metres away.

FIRE DESTRUCTION: Firefighters fight the large blaze that destroyed a shed in Gracemere, caused by an electrical fault in the engine of the family’s new ute. Inset: Scott Vidler and his mother Eileen Vidler in front of their shed.
FIRE DESTRUCTION: Firefighters fight the large blaze that destroyed a shed in Gracemere, caused by an electrical fault in the engine of the family’s new ute. Inset: Scott Vidler and his mother Eileen Vidler in front of their shed. Contributedrachael Conaghan

"I came outside and I could see the flames already starting to come outside (the shed)," he said.

"By the time we realised it was getting too big for us to be able to just use garden hoses, we started hosing down the side of the house to try and keep it away; then we saw it was starting to melt the side (of the house).

"Luckily then the firies got there and started bringing it under control."

Rockhampton Station Officer Craig Gregory said there were a few small explosions while firefighters battled the blaze as the flames spread to fuel canisters which were stored in the shed.

The car also had a full tank of diesel, which provided more fuel.

Luckily Scott and his dad managed to save their boat and their mower, which were both inside the shed when the fire started.

Mr Gregory said it appeared an electrical fault in the ute caused the fire.

The family had only bought the 2013 Dodge Ram a few months ago.

Fortunately everything they lost was insured.



Jail sentence for man after bankruptcy debacle

Premium Content Jail sentence for man after bankruptcy debacle

Bankrupt housing company owner back before courts

PHOTOS: The day a prince came to town

Premium Content PHOTOS: The day a prince came to town

In 1954, a young queen was accompanied by husband Prince Phillip on a tour of the...

'Heartbroken': Puppy owner devastated by brazen theft

Premium Content 'Heartbroken': Puppy owner devastated by brazen theft

First-time breeder awoke to find four of her pedigree puppies worth $2500 each had...