The 2009 GSI Noosa Festival of Surfing
Starting on March 15 and running until March 22, Noosa's beach front will be jam-packed with surfing events for all ages.
Men, women and children are welcome to enter, with amateur and professional divisions catering for all levels of surfer including those who can master the stand up paddle board.
Armed with a board and a paddle, competitors in the Firstlight 5km Stand Up Paddle Race will start from Lions Park on the Noosa River and make their way to the finishing line at First Point. This gruelling 5km race will test anybody's fitness.
Fun is the main aim of the paddling game, but with $1000 cash and prizes up for grabs over three divisions – the competition is guaranteed to be fierce.
Apart from the beach action, there's plenty to keep the rest of the family amused with exhibitions, movies and live music happening around various locations.
A full event calendar can be found at the GSI Noosa Festival of Surfing website, but organisers suggest you keep checking it as things are likely to change as the festival draws nearer. As a taster, some of the program includes:
- A traditional ho’okupu opening ceremony at 5pm on Sunday, with live music from The Yanx at Cafe Le Monde.
- Check out what's on offer for auction on Wednesday from 2pm-5pm, with the auction at the Noosa Heads Surf Club at 7pm.
- Wander around the surf expo at Lions Park. This is on from the Thursday until the Saturday.
- The surf movie double bill at the Noosa Cinemas will feature Searching for Michael Peterson on Thursday, March 17 at 7.30pm.
- Enjoy the latest beach fashions at the fashion parade at Lions Park on Thursday night from 6.30pm. A book launch will also feature.
- Surfing semis happen on March 21 from 7am, while the finals will be on March 22 from 7am.
With so much going on, it would be easy to think this is just an event focusing on the sun, sand and surf. While these are important, the GSI Noosa Festival of Surfing is also helping out two worthwhile charities – Surfaid International and Frangipani Dreams. Both charities focus on helping those less fortunate whether it be financially or physically. So wherever possible – help the organisers of the GSI Noosa Festival of Surfing.
Longboards, short boards or paddle boards – if you're keen for "8 days of pure stroke", then grab your boards, oars and sunnies and head for the Coast from March 15-22 for the GSI Noosa Festival of Surfing.
Read more ...
Follow all the action with full coverage of the 2009 GSI Noosa festival of Surfing on thedaily.com.au.
The long and short of the Noosa Festival of Surf
Family-friendly Noosa Festival of Surf
Hottest field for Noosa's GSI surfing festival
Art you can surf on
Film premiere at GSI Noosa Festival of Surfing
View photos from the 2008 Noosa Festival of Surfing.
Check out the 2008 coverage of the Noosa Festival of Surfing on thedaily.com.au.