No Caption
No Caption

400 evacuated after stove fire at Peppers resort

ABOUT 400 people were evacuated from the Peppers resort in Kingscliff last night after a stove caught on fire.

Tweed Heads senior firefighter Mark Whiticker said the fire started on the 4th floor of the resort and was contained to one unit.

Firemen arrived about 8:30 and extinguished the flames in less than 8 minutes.

Tweed police Inspector Jim Kain said the room was unoccupied when the fire alarm was triggered.

"When police arrived there was a stove top well alight," he said.

"It may have been accidental."

An estimated $40,000 damage was caused.

A Mantra Group spokeswoman said the fire alarms were immediately triggered and standard evacuation procedure was followed.

"Guests were able to resume back to normal a short time after," she said.



Tweed students put their engineering skills to the test

Tweed students put their engineering skills to the test

Maths and engineering make cars move

Future home owners set sights on Tweed's property market

Future home owners set sights on Tweed's property market

More and more people are moving to the region

Woman reported missing after 8 months

Woman reported missing after 8 months

Have you seen 59-year-old Deborah Cox?

Local Partners