Cockroach burrows into man's ear

A DARWIN man has spoken of a painful hospital visit after a large cockroach burrowed into his ear and how his efforts to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner failed.

Hendrik Helmer's told media his ordeal began in the early hours of Wednesday (Jan 08) morning when he was woken by a sharp pain in his right ear.

"I was hoping it was not a poisonous spider ... I was hoping it did not bite me," he said.

He said that as the pain got worse he tried to suck the insect out with a vacuum cleaner before squirting water in his ear.

When the pain becoming excruciating, his flatmate rushed him to hospital where a doctor removed the critter with forceps.



Parents told not to worry about whooping cough despite scare

Parents told not to worry about whooping cough despite scare

Tweed Shire has a low recorded rate of whooping cough

'We aim to really push their comfort zone'

'We aim to really push their comfort zone'

Youth sent Outward Bound to build resilience and survival skills

What's on: Gig guide

What's on: Gig guide

Check out what's going on in the live music scene in the Tweed.

Local Partners