Major police operation hits alcohol fueled violence

THEugly side of Australia's drinking culture was on full display at the weekend as hundreds were arrested across the country during a major police operation targeting alcohol fuelled violence.

A police officer in North Queensland remained in a serious but stable condition on Sunday night after being stabbed in the neck at a Townsville bar in the early hours of Saturday morning.

He underwent surgery, while his alleged attacker - a 28-year-old man - was treated for what was believed to be a self-inflicted wound.

The officer was one of three involved in a walk through of the pub as part of Operation Unite, which netted 101 people across Queensland that same night.

On day two of the operation, a further 292 people were arrested at popular Queensland night spots.

Deputy Queensland Police Commissioner Ross Barnett said it was disappointing to see 26 people arrested for assault.

Violence was an even bigger problem in NSW where more than 540 people were arrested over the two-day operation.

At Tweed Heads, in the state's north, officers were pelted with rocks while trying to break up an out of control party.

Empty bottles, beer cans and rubbish littered the paths at Cabarita Beach, where about 200 young revellers had gathered.

One rock smashed the windscreen of a caged police truck while others were thrown at patrol cars.

Four major brawls in Sydney suburbs led to more than 30 charges being laid.

During one fight, police used a baton and capsicum spray to fend off a group of men outside at pub in the red-light district of Darlinghurst while a bar stool was used as a weapon in another incident at Martin place in the CBD.

One woman had her two front teeth knocked out during 21st celebrations at Doyalson, on the state's Central Coast.

In the NSW Riverina, more than 200 licensing breaches were discovered at the one premises in Wagga Wagga.

The club was shut down until further notice.

At nearby Leeton, a 22-year-old man who was on bail for an alleged glassing in March, allegedly assaulted two men in a local beer garden.

Operation Commander Gary Worboys said one of the biggest problems was getting people to understand when enough was enough.

He said the majority of arrests were a result of people refusing to leave pubs when asked and warned that failure to comply with a move on direction carried a hefty fine and a lifelong criminal conviction.

Jetstar drops incredible $65 return sale

Jetstar drops incredible $65 return sale

Jetstar has just launched their “Return for Free” domestic flight sale, with some...

Property boom: The suburbs reaching staggering prices

Premium Content Property boom: The suburbs reaching staggering prices

Is your suburb on the list of crazy sales?

Broken bones and maggots: Nan’s horror death in aged care

Premium Content Broken bones and maggots: Nan’s horror death in aged care

She died with maggot-infested bed sores from negligent nursing home