Former boxer bashed man over drug deal gone wrong

A FORMER professional boxer who pleaded guilty to bashing a man over a drug deal gone wrong was yesterday released from custody after having his matters heard in Toowoomba Magistrates Court.

David Sean Bainbridge, 30, appeared via video link on a range of charges, the most serious of which related to a dispute at a North Toowoomba home about 8pm on December 15 last year.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Tony Costa said Bainbridge was in the company of two other men when he went to the home a day after organising a drug deal.

A scuffle ensued and Bainbridge stole $1000 cash as well as two mobile phones before leaving.

Defence solicitor Shane MacDonald said his client had endured a terrible childhood.

He detailed serious psychological issues that had risen from sexual abuse at the hands of a family member and others.

Mr MacDonald said his client had become involved in boxing as it helped to release some of his anger.

"He has generally kept his violence within the ring," Mr MacDonald said.

Magistrate Roger Stark sentenced Bainbridge to 15 months jail, but set the parole release date for yesterday.

This was because Bainbridge had spent nearly five months in pre-sentence custody.



It's mind over matter as league tackles mental health

It's mind over matter as league tackles mental health

Raiders launch inaugural State of Mind nines tournament

Gig guide: what's on this week

Gig guide: what's on this week

Find out what's on this week around the coast.

Titans brimming with Tweed talent

Titans brimming with Tweed talent

Four local players keen for improved season

Local Partners