Fire and Rescue attended a fire in Tweed Heads South yesterday
Fire and Rescue attended a fire in Tweed Heads South yesterday Trevor Veale

Afternoon snack causes Tweed Heads South kitchen fire

A WOMAN and her child have made a lucky escape from a kitchen fire.

Tweed Heads Fire Brigade attended the residential fire at Prowse St, Tweed Heads South at 3.10pm yesterday.

The woman and her male child evacuated the premises and escaped injury, but were checked over by ambulance paramedics as a precaution.

"The kitchen was hosed down with one pump," Tweed Heads Fire Brigade station officer Steve Sharp said.

"Ambo services checked them over and gave them a clean bill of health."

Officer Sharp said the kitchen fire was doused relatively quickly thanks to his team's speedy response.

It is understood the fire started due to food being left unattended on a stove hotplate and Officer Sharp warned Tweed residents to be vigilant when using electrical appliances.

"When you've got electrical devices operating...always keep an eye on them," he said.

Officer Sharp said the brigade often tackled fires as a result of unattended cooking, irons, heaters and other household electrical devices.



Council cracks down on unauthorised Casuarina holiday homes

Council cracks down on unauthorised Casuarina holiday homes

The NSW Government is figuring out how to regulate houses.

Tweed Valley Relay for Life is almost here

Tweed Valley Relay for Life is almost here

Register your team for the fundraiser.

Severe weather warning issued for Northern Rivers

Severe weather warning issued for Northern Rivers

Flash-flooding could occur on some of the region's roads

Local Partners