Wheels for Life has had to be postponed.
Wheels for Life has had to be postponed. Hemera Technologies

Life Education puts brakes on fun day due to low entries

AN IMPORTANT fundraising event for the iconic Life Education van has been postponed due to lack of numbers.

The Wheels for Life family fun day was set to take place on Sunday, October 21.

The event aimed to see teams of eight, six students and two adults, working together to compete in a bike-a-thon.

About 60% of the funds raised would go to Life Education and the other 40% would go back into the schools.

Life Education chairman Tonny van't Riet said it was a learning curve for him and his team.

"I think it comes down to the way we approached it," he said.

"And timing."

Out of the 60 schools he asked to participate in the event, not one school was interested.

"It could be the timing in the year," he said.

"I'm not too worried about it.

"If I didn't go through the exercise I wouldn't learn.

"It might be a blessing and Healthy Harold is an icon so we're planning for it to go ahead early next year.

"Everyone I've spoken to still believes it is a worth while project"

Life Eduction in the North Coast area is expected to raise between $25,000 to $30,000 per year.

Currently they stand at $16,000 which Mr van't Riet said wasn't too bad.

"We're doing quite well," he said.

"We get a lot of sponsorship from service clubs, private enterprise and councils."

Mr van't Riet said he hoped the event would kick off next year and be a permanent fixture in our calendars for years to come.

To keep up-to-date and learn more about the Wheels for Life event you can check out their website wheelsforlife.org.au.



Gig guide: what's on this weekend

Gig guide: what's on this weekend

There's so much live music on this weekend.

Council cracks down on unauthorised Casuarina holiday homes

Council cracks down on unauthorised Casuarina holiday homes

The NSW Government is figuring out how to regulate houses.

Tweed Valley Relay for Life is almost here

Tweed Valley Relay for Life is almost here

Register your team for the fundraiser.

Local Partners