April 20 to be nude-fest decider
AN official request for permission to hold a three-day nudist music festival near Cabarita Beach will be considered by Tweed Shire Councillors less than 48 hours before the event is due to get under way. Council development control manager Garry Smith said yesterday the application, along with recommendations from planning staff, would not be considered by councillors until April 20.
But the so-called "nude not rude" festival which organisers hope will attract several thousand people is due to open at 11am the following Friday.
Mr Smith said the development application had been lodged late last Friday.
It now has to be advertised and made available for public scrutiny for one week.
That is due to happen from next Wednesday, in the next edition of the Council newsletter Tweed Link. Because the period for advertising will last until the following Wednesday, April 6, it can't be considered by the first Council meeting on the month on that day.
The next general Council meeting is not due to be held till two weeks later, April 20.
Mr Smith said a number of submissions from the public had already been received and he expected more. Those submissions will then be considered by Council staff as they prepare recommendations for the councillors.
One of the festival organisers Raice Nicholls said local businesses had strongly backed the festival and many had signed support letters.