Attack on 3 youths unprovoked
THREE 13-year-old Cabarita boys were victims of a frightening unprovoked attack on Wednesday afternoon.
The boys who were throwing stones while playing on top of Cabarita Headland at around 2.30pm were robbed and assaulted when a rock struck the board of two nearby surfers.
According to the mother of one of the boys who did not wish to be named said the men, aged approximately 30, claimed the board had been damaged and became increasingly aggressive.
The men then began punching the boys repeatedly and then robbed them of their watches, valued at up to $200.
The men also attempted unsuccessfully to steal a bicycle valued at more then $1000.
The men continued to threaten the boys and forced them to disclose their names, addresses and telephone numbers, telling them they would be in touch in regard to the damaged surfboard.
The concerned mother said she was shocked and angered by the unexpected attack.
"These men have taken matters into their own hands and have broken the law. If they had contacted me then we could have worked something out to help pay for the damage. If they expect compensation for their board now then they are mistaken.
"Picking on 13-year-olds for any reason is just not acceptable," she said.
The mother said the attack had left the boys visibly shaken and worried for their safety.
"You just don't expect this sort of thing to happen. The situation could have been handled, but these men have decided to use violence instead," she said.
The boys have described the men as quite tall, one with short, dark hair and the other with long blonde hair to the shoulders. The men were driving a new model black Toyota 4WD ute.
The mother said the boys had reported the incident to police who were also alarmed by the attack, but were told tracing the men would be difficult without a number plate and more detailed description.