Bilateral support for quarry fight
By HUGH KEARNEY
IT seems opponents of the proposed Readymix super-quarry at Terranora can count on support from both sides of NSW politics.
On Tuesday, NSW Nationals leader Andrew Stoner attacked the Tweed Labor MP Neville Newell on the issue in Parliament, demanding the NSW government reject the proposal.
But yesterday Mr Newell hit back at Mr Stoner saying it was ludicrous to call for the proposal to be rejected before the public submission period was closed.
Mr Stoner said the quarry issue was brought to his attention last week by endorsed Tweed Nationals candidate Geoff Provest.
"Geoff explained to me the legitimate concerns of local people if the super quarry goes ahead ... took me to meet the Stop the Quarry community group and I undertook to raise the issue in Parliament," Mr Stoner said.
Mr Stoner said he had asked state planning minister Frank Sartor if he would heed the con- cerns of the community.
"Mr Sartor said it (Parliament) was not the forum for him to make a planning decision, but that he would be looking at the proposal thoroughly and making a decision soon," Mr Stoner said.
Mr Stoner then went on the attack, claiming Mr Newell had been silent on the issue, had not set foot on the site nor raised the matter in Parliament.
But Mr Newell responded strongly yesterday, saying he had made his position on the quarry perfectly clear and had personally presented a large number of submissions to the minister.
"I have informed the minister I am totally opposed to this quarry for a number of reasons," Mr Newell said.
"I am familiar with the site and Terranora Road's lack of capacity to handle both the quantity and size of the quarry trucks.
"It is ludicrous for Mr Stoner to be calling for the minister to reject the DA before the public exhibition period is concluded on April 4th," Mr Newell said.