DESPERATE MEASURES

By DARREN COYNE

A BILAMBIL Heights family has posted a $1000 reward for information proving their property is being vandalised.

Jim and Verna Jones of McAllister Road have taken out apprehended domestic violence orders against three members of another family in their street who they claim have been intimidating and harassing them.

The Daily News yesterday went to the house of the family named by the Jones as the alleged culprits but they were initially not prepared to comment on the allegations.

The Jones' claim the AVOs have not stopped ongoing harassment, and while Tweed police have been contacted a number of times, officers have allegedly told the family more proof is needed.

As a last resort the Jones have distributed a notice to other neighbours in the street which has a picture of their house. Underneath it says: "Above property is regularly vandalised by persons known to us and the authorities ? front hedge ? Sunday 1-10-06 between 9am-10.30am. Husband is blind ? we need your assistance please!"

Mrs Jones said her family did not want to move from their home because Mr Jones, who has a degenerative eye condition which has so far required 16 operations, was familiar with the layout.

She said in the past year their letterbox has been snapped off, their pool filter vandalised, excrement left on their property, and their front hedge poisoned.

She alleged the people named in the AVO regularly abused members of the family, trespassed on their property and kept them awake at night tapping on windows and the walls of their house.

They say the problems began last year when they wanted to put up a fence.

"The land was surveyed and it was found that their pipes were on our side and were causing flooding," Mrs Jones said.

"He wouldn't do anything about it and abused us. We went to the council and he wouldn't co-operate until the council issued orders.

"It was also revealed that their 30- metre-square garage encroached on our property and was stopping run-off water from the golf course."

On one night, which she describes as "our night of terror", the family was allegedly kept awake by the sounds of a lawnmower starting and restarting every half hour.

"All we want is peace, but being peaceful hasn't got us anywhere," Mrs Jones said.

Late last night The Daily News again asked the family if they were prepared to comment on the distribution of the notice throughout the neighbourhood, and the allegations made by the Jones.

"It's in the Land and Environment Court. We've been here for 26 years and we're going through the right channels to settle this," the man said.

Asked to comment on the allegations of ongoing harassment, he replied: "No comment. I'm not entering into this bullshit."



Nine times more speeding fines as warnings removed

Premium Content Nine times more speeding fines as warnings removed

Questions have been raised about Transport Minister Andrew Constance’s policy of...

Motorists caught in flash flooding on Gold Coast

Premium Content Motorists caught in flash flooding on Gold Coast

The Queensland Ambulance Service has urged motorists to keep clear

Sexual harassment, cattle prod lands trainer two-year ban

Premium Content Sexual harassment, cattle prod lands trainer two-year ban

Racing NSW investigated allegations of sexual harassment