Fears held for concert effects


A KINGSCLIFF residents group wants Tweed Shire Council to withhold approvals for future outdoor concerts at Salt until after Canadian crooner Michael Buble performs before an estimated 5000 fans in October.

Residents' association president Peter Gladwin said approval for three subsequent concerts planned for the Salt site should be put on hold until the impact of the Buble concert on October 1 can be properly assessed.

The Ray Group has lodged development applications to stage four events over the next 12 months on public land between the Outrigger and Peppers Resorts within the upmarket estate, starting with the Buble open air concert.

"We're not against the concert, but the others should be put on hold until we can assess the impact that 5000 people will have on parking in and around the town," Mr Gladwin said.

"We want to see how severely the event will restrict public access to the beach.

"It makes commonsense because, after all, the attendance to the concert is going to be equal to the town's population and it is likely to create some problems which can be addressed in subsequent development applications."

The council's development director Noel Hodges said few objections to the concerts had been submitted to council and concerns over parking problems had been resolved.

He said organisers of the Buble concert have proposed that land at the old sewage treatment plant at Chinderah would be used for car parking, with shuttle buses ferrying concert-goers to the event, expected to cost between $90 and $150 a ticket.

The Ray Group has pledged $25,000 to an arts trust administered by the council.

When running for your life takes on a new meaning

When running for your life takes on a new meaning

Linking cleaning chemicals to Parkinson's disease

Cudgen unleashes kings and queens of the north

Cudgen unleashes kings and queens of the north

Cudgen SLSC tops Far North Coast region at state champs

Local Partners