Lucky escapes

WITNESSES were shocked to see a man crawl out of his overturned car and walk away with minor injuries on Saturday.

The man, driving a white Hyundai Excel, was turning into Florence Street at the roundabout in Tweed Heads when he lost control of the car about 1.30pm.

The vehicle flipped after hitting an embankment near the PCYC, coming to rest on its roof.

Witnesses said the man, 56, crawled out with only cuts and scratches.

Nearby resident Janet Simpson said she heard the crash from inside her house. Her nephew Kalani was first on the scene.

"He and my neighbour were first on the scene and helped the guy out," Ms Simpson said.

"We heard screeching and then the bang, and went out.

"He crawled out of the car, my nephew said. They were shocked that he was mobile, but he was a bit scratched up," she said, indicating her leg.

Ms Simpson said the man, who was treated by paramedics and taken to The Tweed Hospital, was released quite quickly because he returned to the scene soon after.

"They let him out straight away because he came back looking for his dog -- he had a little dog with him," she said.

"But he found it. One of my neighbours had it."

Ms Simpson, who lives on Thomson Street, said she had seen a few accidents at the Florence Street roundabout, which is on the NSW/Queensland border.

"We've seen about three or four and some near-misses," she said. "You can hear people screeching through (the roundabout) in the night and you wait for the bang. I'm surprised there's not more accidents there."

Police said the driver involved in Saturday's crash had not been charged, but investigations were continuing.

The drama on the region's roads continued into yesterday when a man lost control of his blue Holden Commodore, which went down an embankment at Banora Point about 12.40pm.

The male driver was lucky to escape uninjured after the car left the roadway at Fraser Drive, north of Amaroo Drive, going over the embankment before coming to rest in heavy vegetation.

The man told police his car had hit a rock and spun out of control.

"I just knew I was very lucky the pole was there," he said.

A tow-truck driver at the scene said it was the first crash he had seen on that stretch of road in a long time.

"There used to be one every time it was wet," he said.

Ella, the doyenne of Uki

Ella, the doyenne of Uki

TALKING HISTORY with Tweed Regional Museum

Man killed by lightning in NSW

Man killed by lightning in NSW

Severe storm activity is heading for the state this afternoon

Royal Navy musos are back on deck

Royal Navy musos are back on deck

Can't stop the beat at Currumbin RSL

Local Partners