Man critical after park gas leak

By SAMANTHA HEALY

A MAN remains in intensive care at Tweed Hospital after he was overcome by gas fumes at a popular Tweed Coast holiday park yesterday.

The man, believed to be in his early 20s, was working as a contractor at the North Star Holiday Park at Hastings Point late yesterday morning when gas leaked while he was carrying out maintenance work.

A strong gas smell could be smelt at the scene, along with initial reports suggesting there may have been a gas explosion, but this could not be confirmed.

Inspector Ross Wilkinson from Tweed Heads Police said the man was connecting gas lines to a house at the back of the park when the accident occurred.

"It would appear gas has leaked from a gas line and the man fell in the pit," Insp Wilkinson said.

"Park workers found him a short time after and commenced CPR until paramedics arrived."

A NSW Ambulance Service spokesman said when paramedics arrived the man was unconscious and a heartbeat could not be located.

Paramedics managed to restart the man's heart before arriving at The Tweed Hospital, but a spokesman from the North Coast Area Health Service said he was in a critical condition in the intensive care unit.

Residents and holidaymakers were not evacuated from the park, with police saying there was no immediate danger to anyone else.

It is understood the man was working on his own at the time and the incident is being investigated by Work Cover



Tweed roads closed due to flooding

Tweed roads closed due to flooding

Motorists are advised not to travel across flood waters.

Tweed business win big at 2018 regional awards

Tweed business win big at 2018 regional awards

Tweed's got some of the best businesses around

Man arrested after demanding drugs at Tweed hospital

Man arrested after demanding drugs at Tweed hospital

The man entered the Emergency Department on Thursday morning.

Local Partners