Mur-bah man in death threat

A FORMER Murwillumbah man accused of threatening to kill Premier Bob Carr has been granted conditional bail because he is unable to receive immediate treatment in prison.

Julian Evans, who stood for the Democrats as a senate candidate in the 2001 federal election, was arrested by counter-terrorism police on Tuesday after allegedly threatening to kill Mr Carr during question time in Parliament House.

He was charged with two counts of giving false information, putting a person or property in danger, and one count of false representation to police.

Evans, who was also a former NSW Liberal Party staffer and now lives in Zetland in inner Sydney, also faces a fresh charge of intimidating a policewoman during his first court appearance at Waverley Local Court yesterday.

The 21-year-old is alleged to have detailed an elaborate assassination threat during a 50-minute telephone call to Inspector Peter Benic, head of the premier's security unit.

Psychiatrist Olav Nielssen yesterday told Waverley Local Court Evans, who had worked as a researcher for Mr Brogden last year, was in the hypermanic stage of bipolar disorder.

He had previously been treated for the condition but had stopped taking his lithium medication more than a year ago, Dr Nielssen told the court.

His condition would deteriorate if it went untreated, but the appropriate medication was only available at Long Bay jail and it would be "some weeks before he could get it".

The doctor said Evans had accepted he was unwell and that he had acted in- appropriately.

"He's acknowledged that what he did was wrong and that he showed very poor judgment," Dr Nielssen told the court.

"He had no intention of carrying out the threat, nor the means."

Dr Nielssen said the accused was not delusional but had "very over-valued ideas".

Magistrate Lee Gilmour said it was clearly a serious allegation and the accused had admitted he intended to "shock Mr Carr and his staff".

But if refused bail he would not be able to access appropriate medication immediately, Ms Gilmour said.

Under the strict bail conditions, a $5000 bond was required, with Evans released into his father's care and ordered into treatment at Sydney Private Clinic.

He had to surrender his passport and live with his sister in Randwick when discharged.

He also was "not to contact Mr Carr, Inspector Benic, any member of Mr Carr's staff, nor any other political figure," Ms Gilmour said.

However Evans would not be required to report to police because of his problem with authority.

He will reappear on May 25.

Bypass won’t be open in time for Christmas, here’s why

Premium Content Bypass won’t be open in time for Christmas, here’s why

COUNCIL explains why bypass won’t open before summer holidays, as planned.

Psychological thriller filmed locally streaming on Netflix

Premium Content Psychological thriller filmed locally streaming on Netflix

NORTHERN NSW resident Justin McMillan directed and created the original film...

5 reasons not to miss North Coast’s newest markets

Premium Content 5 reasons not to miss North Coast’s newest markets

Why these new events have all your Christmas shopping sorted