No harbour reclamation
By ED SOUTHORN
NSW Lands Minister Tony Kelly yesterday announced no part of the Jack Evans Boat Harbour would be filled in and no crown land around the harbour would be sold for development.
But he said vacant crown land, formerly the old Fisherman's Cove restaurant site, could be leased to a private developer for a residential and "mixed use" project.
After Tweed Nationals candidate Geoff Provest released his boat harbour policy promising no reclamation and no public land sell-off, Mr Kelly announced the government's response.
"There will be no reclamation of the boat harbour and no sale of crown land as part of any redevelopment," Mr Kelly's spokesman said.
"I don't know what has happened so far, but there will be no reclamation," he said.
He said any redevelopment proposals for the boat harbour not already decided would be subject to further public consultation and calls for expressions of interest.
Mr Kelly's spokesman also said there may be some structural development between the water and Coral Street, mostly boardwalks on pilons but also possibly including a building.
He said the Lands Department was "always looking to maximise the potential" of crown land, but consideration was given to local communities.
The Save the Jack Evans Boat Harbour Committee called on the NSW government on Monday to rule out a proposal to reclaim part of the harbour, outlined in Tweed Heads Master Plan documents.
The residents group called on the government to rule out selling the crown land on Coral Street, vacated by the restaurant after a rock fall in the 1990s.