Tweed Hospital beats negative prognosis

By Patrick Williams

TWO weeks on and the Tweed Hospital remains open for business, despite predictions from Tweed MP Geoff Provest it would be forced to close its doors by now.

Mr Provest said in State Parliament on Tuesday, October 21, that the hospital was broke and owed three local businesses, including an unidentified Tweed butcher, more than $150,000 for supplies dating back to June.

Yesterday marked a fortnight since Mr Provest first made the claims in Parliament, and he said he was delighted the hospital remained open.

"One of the businesses in question was facing liquidation due to a $70,000 debt brought on by the hospital's late payments," Mr Provest said.

"After the story broke they received a cheque for $20,000 from the North Coast Area Health Service. They are still owed a lot, but it did save them for the time being. Other businesses are still waiting for some payment."

Premier Nathan Rees threw his hat into the mix last week, telling Mr Provest all area health services were expected to pay their bills on time, and to manage within their budgets.

"The current situation of late payments is being addressed, and I have made it clear I want it addressed quickly," Mr Rees said.

Mr Provest said he expected to hear again from the Premier on the situation some time this week.

"I expect there will be a small funds boost for the hospital," he said.

Mr Provest said hospital staff was still worried about the situation.

"They are waiting for the State Government's mini-Budget next week before they spend any money," he said.

North Coast Area Health Service Chief Executive Chris Crawford yesterday declined to comment on the matter, but has previously said Mr Provest's claims were wrong.

Tweed Link is now available

The Tweed Link is now available in the Wednesday community edition of the Tweed Daily News.

Read everything in the Tweed Link here.

Surf warning continues for Tweed Coast

TAKE CARE: A lifeguard watches over surfers taking advantage of the massive swell at Snapper Rocks. While conditions are expected to subside this week, beachgoers are still urged to exercise caution.

Beaches were closed over the weekend due to swell.

Rings offer hope at treacherous Fingal headland

This all-terrain vehicle was funded for Fingal SLSC after its namesake, Ryan Martin, died at Fingal Head.

Flotation devices and more on the horizon for deadly headland

Local Partners