Tweed triumph


HALFBACK Tim Maccan and winger Nat Barnes both bagged doubles as Tweed Heads thumped Wynnum 36-10 in Queensland Cup action at Piggabeen Sports Complex yesterday.

The win was Tweed's best performance of the season and their biggest winning margin against one of the competition's quality sides since joining the competition three years ago.

It also elevated them above their opponents to equal-fifth spot on this year's competition ladder on 11 points.

Playing against a monster Wynnum forward pack, Tweed's forwards never took a backward step and provided the foundation for the backs.

Maccan, along with five-eighth Brad Davis, was instrumental in orchestrating Tweed's expansive game.

"It went really well," Maccan said.

"We had a game plan and we stuck to it.

"We knew they were bigger than us down the middle so we spread the ball out wide and it worked.

"We were able to run them around and tire them out."

The talented playmaker said he had watched a tape of his recent games recently and focused yesterday on certain areas to lift his performance.

"I've been a bit up and down this season," he said.

"(Today) I just wanted to make sure I did the small things right."

The game was only eight minutes old when he crossed for the first of his tries, crashing over from close despite the attention of three defenders. That score put Tweed 8-4 up and they never looked like losing from there as they dominated.

IN recent weeks Selasi Berdi, Jay Hampson and Nat Barnes have all made their mark in the team.

"One of the good things about the club at the moment, is when a bloke is getting an opportunity he is not overawed and is doing well," Murphy said.

All three had exceptional games. In yesterday's game, an 80-metre try from winger Barnes put Tweed further ahead after Maccan's opener for the home side.

This was all after Brad Davis had converted an early penalty for Tweed and Simon Phillips scored Wynnum's opening try.

Just after the half-hour mark, Maccan grabbed his second touching down his own grubber behind the Wynnum line. The score gave the Seagulls a 20-4 halftime lead.

In the second half as Wynnum became increasingly frustrated, Barnes scored his second and Ben Hill and Jay Hampson both scored one each before a late consolation try to Wynnum fullback Daniel Sorbello.

TWEED HEADS 36 (Tries, T Maccan 2, N Barnes 2, B Hill, J Hampson; Kicks, B Davis 6 goals) d WYNNUM 10 (Tries, D Sorbello, S Phillips; Kicks, D Quinn).ed with the performance.

Bluesfest and stallholders in tribunal stoush over fees

Premium Content Bluesfest and stallholders in tribunal stoush over fees

SMALL businesses who would have operated at the festival this year are seeking...

Council’s plan to increase rates above the normal ‘peg’

Premium Content Council’s plan to increase rates above the normal ‘peg’

A council has written to IPART to raise its rates above the rate peg

Police appeal for help to locate missing teen

Police appeal for help to locate missing teen

THE 17-year-old has not turned up at prearranged appointments, according to...