Wanted men surrender
TWO men believed to be responsible for a violent home invasion in Coolangatta recently, handed themselves into police on Wednesday after their photographs were published in the Daily News, Mullumbimby Local Court was told yesterday. The men were wanted for questioning in relation to a September 18 home invasion at Coolangatta, where one of the residents was allegedly hog-tied, assaulted and robbed. A car belonging to the resident was also allegedly stolen during the robbery and later found in Byron Bay. The car is believed to have been used in the armed hold-up of a Lennox Head chemist, but the men have yet to be linked to that incident. Queensland Police issued warrants for the two men, Gary William Coleman and Brendan Troy Griffiths, releasing photographs of the men on Tuesday which were published in the Daily News on Wednesday, September 26. The men handed themselves in to detectives attached to the Tweed Target Action Group later that day. Both men were charged with robbery while armed, and possessing an offensive implement while in company. They were given conditional bail and must appear in Southport Court on October 1. One of the victims of the home invasion, Phil Jackson, said he was relieved the alleged intruders had been arrested and that he could now have a good night's sleep. Mr Jackson, who offered a $10,000 reward for the capture of the intruders, said he would donate the money to Crimestoppers as a thankyou for the good work done by both Queensland and NSW police officers. "The police were great," Mr Jackson said. "I will actually get a decent night's sleep now."