Appeal on ban puts World Cup spot on the line

HE IS a vital part of the Socceroos' midfield, but Mark Bresciano will put his spot at next year's World Cup in Brazil at risk by appealing a four-month suspension for an alleged illegal transfer.

FIFA handed down the suspension and a $A1.9 million fine last month, after ruling Bresciano's move from United Arab Emirates side Al Nasr to Qatari club Al Gharafa was not legal.

If the 33-year-old (pictured) accepted the sanctions when notified last month, he would have served the ban before the World Cup begins on June 12. But Bresciano's future is now uncertain, with no known timeframe on the appeal process.

His lawyers will this week lodge an application for a stay of proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which could clear him to play for Al Gharafa and the Socceroos pending the final hearing.

Bresciano said although the appeal would be risky, he was confident of proving his innocence and being cleared.



Kings Forest project says it can deliver hospital early

Kings Forest project says it can deliver hospital early

Developer says it could build hospital six months ahead of schedule.

Who is the NRRRL's best?

Who is the NRRRL's best?

Unstoppable force meets immovable object in NRRRL this Sunday

Tweed Tigers of old and new

Tweed Tigers of old and new

Joint training sessions at Tiger-land inspires cubs

Local Partners