AN artist's impression of a typical street in the proposed multi-million dollar residential development for Bilambil.
AN artist's impression of a typical street in the proposed multi-million dollar residential development for Bilambil. Supplied.

Bilambil extension granted

A TWO-week extension has been granted for the public to comment on a proposed $13.6m high-density housing development for Bilambil Village.

According to Bilambil Progress Association president Coral Clarke, residents don't consider the plans appropriate for the village and fear it would change the area's character for ever.

“The consensus was that it was not the type of development that was conducive to the rural amenity of the village,” Mrs Clarke said yesterday.

“People are very concerned this is going to make major changes to the area.

“Why are they looking at a high-density urban development and not a rural, environmentally friendly option?”

Concerned community members met with representatives of Jackson International on Thursday night.

Tweed Shire councillors Katie Milne, Warren Polglase and Dot Holdom turned up to the meeting along with about 80 residents.

Release of the plans for public comment last month by the New South Wales Department of Planning led to the reformation of the Bilambil Progress Association.

The group immediately called for extra time to respond and a two-week extension, until August 31, has been granted.

Developers intend to create 52 house blocks on the 4.7-hectare site of an old quarry at the corner of Urliup and Hogan roads.

Mrs Clarke said that kind of density was too high for Bilambil's rural amenity and it would lead to three-storey homes that would put increased pressure on roads and sewerage infrastructure.

She also said there were social concerns, including for public transport and activities for children and teenagers that would arrive in the area due to the estate.

Mrs Clarke said an engineer and the developer heard concerns from the residents and they were obliging in answering questions.

“Whether they are open to change or not, no one knows.”

It will be the Department of Planning's decision on whether the development will be changed, and Mrs Clarke urged the public make individual submissions.

She said the progress association would make its own submission.

A meeting with Council planners was also being organised.

See development plans at majorprojects.planning.nsw. gov.au.



'You're a disgrace': Protester disrupts Anzac Day service

'You're a disgrace': Protester disrupts Anzac Day service

Protester yelled "Germany should have won the war" during Last Post.

GALLERY: Thousands honour Anzac Day at Tweed Heads

GALLERY: Thousands honour Anzac Day at Tweed Heads

8000 people gathered for the main Anzac Day service

Revealed: Full list of hospital sites examined

Revealed: Full list of hospital sites examined

NSW Health Infrastructure reveals full list of hospital sites

Local Partners