JOEL Walle throws down the ball for South Tweed Colts.
JOEL Walle throws down the ball for South Tweed Colts.

Brave fight in the heat

THE lure of attending next week’s First Test between Australia and the West Indies at the Gabba inspired four teams in the LJ Hooker League to play out both days of their round-four clash over the weekend.

South Tweed Colts fought bravely in searing temperatures, but were unable to topple heavyweights Casino at Fripp Oval.

The match began well enough for Colts, with captain Jack Boote winning the toss and electing to bat on a good wicket.

They began conservatively but soon moved into double figures, but on unlucky 13 it was opener Ian Smith (8) who became the first victim of the Casino attack.

The ever-impressive Tait Burns (31) came in at three and partnered keeper Matt Shean (11) to take the tally to 2/37 when Shean was caught.

No sooner had David Lynch (0) arrived at the crease, than he was back in the pavilion, and Colts were beginning to crack at 3/38, before all-rounder Paul Dhillon (53), a stand-out for Murwillumbah last season, partnered first with Burns and then Andrew Dubelaar (22) to carry South Tweed back into contention at 5/95.

Joel Walle (6) and Boote (5) held up their end for Dhillon as the score trundled along to a more respectable 7/128.

Dhillon’s last stand came with Jay Thompson (14* not out), but when his innings ended at 8/154 so did that of his team, with tailenders Daniel Hawkins (1) and Dan Lawton (1) both caught cheaply leg before wicket.

South Tweed was all out for 158 inside 47 overs.

In response Casino made short work of the Colts’ traditionally solid bowling attack, declaring at 9/217 off 49 overs.

When the Colts’ Hawkins (2-42 off eight overs) snagged opener Adam Shield for a duck in his first over, the scoreboard read 1/0 and South Tweed lifted.

Boote (2-44 off 11) was the next to strike, then Hawkins again, and then Smith (1-10 off four), and soon Casino was in an unfamiliar position under the pump at 4/72.

However opener Rodney Wells (54) was continuing to plug away and ensured thescoreboard kept ticking over.

He combined with Matt Woods (33) and Todd Summers (48) – who both fell to Lawton (2-44 off nine) – before finally getting caught with the score at 6/145 and the damage already done.

Although Colts soon had Casino at 9/178, Myles McDowell’s stellar 47 not out batting at seven, ensured the tail wagged nicely to 9/217 and secured first-inning points.

In their second innings South Tweed simply ran out of time.

In a vastly improved time batting session, Shean (42), Burns (27), Dhillon (14), Lynch (21*no) and Walle (19*no) each showed good touch to race out to 6/140 in the 33 overs before stumps.

Meanwhile Ballina continued living up to its premiership aspirations by chalking up 229 against the Lismore Workers before bowling them out for 108.

Workers then only managed 3/76 in their second innings.

Ella, the doyenne of Uki

Ella, the doyenne of Uki

TALKING HISTORY with Tweed Regional Museum

Man killed by lightning in NSW

Man killed by lightning in NSW

Severe storm activity is heading for the state this afternoon

Royal Navy musos are back on deck

Royal Navy musos are back on deck

Can't stop the beat at Currumbin RSL

Local Partners