Campbell retirement plans on hold
RETIREMENT plans appear to have been put on hold by Gold Coast Titans livewire Preston Campbell.
Certainly he is showing no signs of slowing down.
At 32, Campbell has not only re-signed for another two years - he has dropped a heavy hint that he will continue playing beyond 2011.
Not a bad result for an “old bloke” who contemplated hanging up the boots before the 2009 NRL season.
The popular utility's announcement yesterday was a welcome shot in the arm for the Titans as they sweated on the fitness of Mat Rogers and Brett Delaney ahead of their maiden NRL finals campaign.
Rogers rated himself a “70-30” chance of overcoming a hamstring complaint and playing the Broncos at Skilled Park on Saturday night, but Delaney looked at longer odds.
Delaney was surprisingly named in the biggest game of the Titans' short history despite missing the past five weeks with a hamstring injury.
A final decision on the pair's availability will be made tomorrow.
But Campbell was feeling no pain after inking the latest deal.
His career has come full circle after making his first-grade debut for the now-defunct Gold Coast Chargers way back in 1998.
Amazingly the former Dally M Medallist hinted that 2009 may be his last hurrah.
But both Campbell and Titans boss Michael Searle happily stoked speculation yesterday that the veteran would play beyond 2011.
“At the start of the year I was hopeful that he would feel as though he had enough juice in the tank to go another year,” Searle said.
“He has continued to exceed everyone's expectations.
“I am not game to say for one minute, and this will probably raise eyebrows, that it won't be only two years.”
Campbell's reasoning behind his re-signing was simple.
“I am feeling pretty good, to put it bluntly,” he said.
“At the start of the year, probably a bit prematurely, I said maybe this would be my last year.
“But the way things have been going, I have been feeling pretty good.