Carelessness can be cruelty
THROWING away seemingly harmless objects can have disastrous effects on Tweed wildlife.
Tweed Valley Wildlife carer Mary Grant said items such as string and dental floss could prove fatal to birds that became entangled in them.
“I was recently sent on a rescue mission to Tweed Heads South to help a pigeon that was entangled, it took me more than 10 minutes to get the dental floss off from around the bird's two feet,” Ms Grant said. “As I was leaving and getting into my car I saw a magpie that was walking on exposed bone because both of its feet were missing – it had been entangled in something and it had had a tourniquet effect.
“The flesh had been ripped from its bones.”
Ms Grant said the bird was trying to walk on its damaged legs and it appeared to have been this way for more than a month.
“Nobody who had seen this bird had thought to call the Tweed Valley Wildlife Carers,” Ms Grant said. “These incidents of wildlife being entangled or trapped in the Tweed region are becoming too common.
“People who throw away things like string, dental floss, wire or fishing line may not know that they are putting the wildlife in danger but they should be aware of this.”
Ms Grant said foreign objects also posed a threat to water birds.
People who find injured or entangled birds should call Wildlife Carers on (02) 66 724 789.