Bargain hunter: Catch a flight and save on parking
WITH the festive season drawing near, it can be easy to overspend on just about anything.
On-site airport parking can really sting the budget, but with a little planning it's possible to save on parking and have cash left over for extra fun.
Owner of Tweed Heads-based Aussie Airport Parking Justin Carson said opting for off-site parking services could save travellers a lot of money.
"It's a lot cheaper," Mr Carson said.
Mr Carson said while many people used the on-site airport parking for convenience, the shuttle buses provided by off-site parking won't take much longer.
"It will take five to seven minutes on the bus," Mr Carson said.
Mr Carson said his company, based at 55 Ourimbah Rd, didn't usually take single-day bookings as the price savings were more noticeable in the long term.
"For a single day it's cheaper to park at the airport," Mr Carson said.
"But if you're staying for a week, or 10 days, it could really add up."
Mr Carson said while their customers enjoyed some extra cash for their travels, their cars got a little TLC.
"The cars are always watched. We've always got people here."
He said all customers' cars had their windscreens wiped down, with a full car wash available for an extra charge.
While many people didn't seem not to know about off-site parking, he said those who used the service were more than happy with how secure their cars were.
Tweed Taxi boss Murray Spence said long-term travellers were much better off taking a taxi to and from the airport.
Mr Spence said while a taxi would always be the most convenient option, it could also work out cheaper in many circumstances.
"It depends on how many days they're away," Mr Spence said.
"But instead of dealing with parking, it's better to get a cab."
Mr Spence said the convenience of a taxi was ideal as even NSW residents could catch a taxi home from the airport.
He said compared to other public transport options, which could be tedious and inconvenient with luggage in tow, a taxi was the traveller's easiest and simplest mode of transport.
- Plan ahead: Compare prices as it could mean savings.
- Check the weather: If there are no storms predicted during your time away, consider braving the outdoor long-term parking.
- Park smart: If you park at the airport, make use of the long-term parking. In the short-term area, stays longer than nine hours will cost over $70 per day.
- Know your taxis: Tweed Taxis can take travellers from Gold Coast Airport back into NSW
- Be informed: There are plenty of off-site parking providers. Check out Aussie Airport Parking or Gold Coast Off-Airport Parking (Tweed Heads) or Alpha Airport Parking (Coolangatta). These businesses run shuttle buses to Gold Coast Airport.