BILAMBIL'S full-back Drew Lanston (with the ball).
BILAMBIL'S full-back Drew Lanston (with the ball). Tweed Daily News/Blainey Woodham

Catch us if you can

FIRST Southport and now Tugun - the Bilambil Jets are building a reputation as giant killers of the Gold Coast Ruby League after posting a 16-14 win over the Seahawks at Boyd Street, Tugun, yesterday.

In an enthralling match which was decided by a second-half penalty kick to Bilambil five-eighth Paul Rolls, the Jets showed they are genuine contenders for the Byrcroft Cup after ending Tugun's unbeaten run.

"It was a hard, tough game of footy and both sides played well," said a delighted Bilambil coach Troy McCarthy after the match.

"We knew that Tugun play a physical game and like to dominate sides so we had to make sure that didn't happen.

"Our defence, particularly in the second half, was outstanding, especially on our goal line, and I think that spell early in the second half to keep them from scoring was a bit of a victory for us and had them a bit frustrated."

Tugun coach Craig Briscoe agreed that his side's performance in the second half was poor and it was a game of missed opportunities.

"We started the game badly, gifting Bilambil some early points, but the boys fought back in what I thought was one of our best performances so far this season," Briscoe said.

From the opening kick off, Tugun knocked the ball on and gave Bilambil an excellent attacking opportunity.

A clever kick by Rolls for winger Guy Lanston had the Jets up 4-0 and when Rolls converted, the visitors held a 6-0 lead after just three minutes.

More early pressure by Bilambil led to them scoring again five minutes later when Rolls and Lanston combined again to score, giving the Jets a 12-0 lead.

However, Tugun was soon to benefit from Bilambil mistakes and tries to second rower Scott Gray and winger Michael Day saw the home side back in the match at 12-8.

A penalty to Rolls in the 30th minute saw the Jets extend their lead to 14-8 before Tugun half back Nash Gore crossed, his try converted by Ritchie Williams and the scores were locked up at half time 14-all.

The second half saw both sides create plenty of opportunities, yet both were guilty of failing to convert them into points.

Desperate defence by the Jets, swarming to stop the Tugun pack getting a roll on, was enough to get them the points in the end.

"In our first half, we seemed to be creating minor errors after we got an early lead," McCarthy said.

"At half time with the scores level, I just told the boys to relax and control the ball which they did.

"We also needed to get players on the Tugun ball carriers in numbers to lock them up and when we had the ball, we try to keep our speed up around the ruck and turn them around.

"In the end it worked and I think the result shows that we are now in the mix whe it comes to contenders."

In the lower grades, Tugun deposed Bilambil from the top of the reserve grade ladder with a solid 28-4 win, while the Bilambil under-19s enjoyed a 22-0 win over the Seahawks.

In other games played yesterday, Southport defeated Hinterland 36-6 and Runaway Bay downed Beaudesert 48-20.

The matches between Burleigh and Ormeau, Currumbin and Parkwood and the lower grade games between South Tweed and Burleigh were all postponed.

GALLERY: Tweed River High School students shine

GALLERY: Tweed River High School students shine

Watch out for our special formals insert on December 1

Mayor's plea for Tweed

Mayor's plea for Tweed

Mayoral message from Cr Katie Milne

Why not do a long lunch on Sunday?

Why not do a long lunch on Sunday?

Fins at Plantation House is open for Sunday lunch

Local Partners