Cigarette fire evacuates building
ABOUT 30 people were evacuated from the Sea Spray and Azure Bay unit complex at Tweed Heads in the early hours of yesterday morning after a fire broke out on an apartment balcony.
Tweed firefighters have urged the public to take care with cigarettes and heaters this winter in the aftermath of the 2.15am blaze.
Senior firefighter Justin Hyde said three trucks from the Tweed Heads station were sent to the unit complex and had the incident under control within 10 minutes of arriving.
“It was confined to the couches and table on the balcony, but the unit block became smoke clogged.
“There was no internal damage, it was all external,” he said.
The drama was over by about 3am and residents were able to return to their units.
It is suspected the fire started after careless disposal of a cigarette.
Snr firefighter Hyde said it was fortunate the resident had been smoking outside.
“It would have been worse if they were smoking inside – much worse.”