Council cash handout to local groups
TEN not-for-profit community organisations have shared in $13,750 under Tweed Shire Council's latest Community Sponsorship Policy round.
The list of recipients include:
- Beachside Communicare $2000
- Caba Creative $750
- Dragons Abreast Mt Warning $750
- Pottsville Beach Neighbourhood Centre $750
- Team Koala $1000
- Tumbulgum Community Association $3000
- Tweed/Byron Life Education Action Group $2000
- Tweed Palliative Support $2000
- Tyalgum Community Hall Association $500
- Uniting Preschool Murwillumbah $1000
The council gives out two rounds of sponsorship funding per financial year to groups that are enhancing the Tweed Shire.
Applicants are assessed against priorities identified in the council's Community Strategic Plan (2013-2023).
Acting mayor Cr Gary Bagnall presented cheques to organisation representatives at a ceremony on Wednesday assisted by council's General Manager Troy Green.
"He usually takes money off the ratepayers so this is a very rare occasion," Cr Bagnall joked.
Cr Bagnall said he was confident Mayor Katie Milne would return from sick leave at the end of this month.
Cr Milne has been on sick leave since May 2 and had been scheduled to return on May 31 until she gained an extension.