Kingscliff resident Neville Salmon died in Gold Coast Hospital on Monday.
Kingscliff resident Neville Salmon died in Gold Coast Hospital on Monday.

Cyclist dies after truck crash

A FAMILY has been left shattered following the death of cyclist Neville Salmon this week.

Kingscliff is mourning the loss of the well-known resident after he died in Gold Coast Hospital on Monday evening.

Mr Salmon’s death occurred almost two weeks after he suffered severe head injuries following a serious crash with a B-double truck while cycling on the Pacific Highway at Chinderah.

Daughter Debbie Salmon-Brown yesterday said she would remember him as a very loving father.

“He was just a wonderful father who would do any thing for his kids and grandkids,” she said.

“Dad was always loving and would never criticise.”

Mrs Salmon-Brown said the family had been left shattered by his death.

“We’re just taking it one day at a time,” she said.

Mr Salmon, 65, had lived in Kingscliff for more than 26 years and was well-known in the community.

He served as the treasurer for both the Kingscliff RSL sub-branch and the Kingscliff Chamber of Commerce and was also a member and former president of the Twin Towns Triathlon Club following his 20-year career in the air force.

He was married to wife Pat for 44 years.

Together they had two daughters and four grandchildren.

Mrs Salmon-Brown said her parents were a great couple.

Mr Salmon suffered the head injuries on Wednesday, June 2 while cycling northbound just south of Barneys Point Bridge at Chinderah, when he was struck from behind by a B-double truck about 5.35am.

Mrs Salmon-Brown said her father had been cycling to meet a friend for an 80km ride.

“They would meet up for the trek three times a week,” she said.

“He has always been into cycling. He took part in the Great Victorian Bike Ride a couple of years ago.”

Friend and former employer Richard Harry said he would remember Mr Salmon as a “straight shooter”.

“If you wanted a straight answer about anything, Nev was the man,” Mr Harry said.

“He was a terrific bloke and was involved with so many different things.

“He’s been in the area a long time and we’re all going to miss him. He was a master of most things he did, a real jack of all trades.”

Tweed Police Inspector Jim Kain yesterday said no one had been charged over the incident.

“We’re still waiting on results of the compulsory drug and alcohol tests,” Insp Kain said. “Investigations are ongoing.”

Mr Salmon’s funeral will be held at the Melaleuca Station Memorial Gardens at Chinderah on Monday at 10am.

Airport's stray items are no lost cause

Airport's stray items are no lost cause

Tweed charity relocates lost property to those in need

Kingswood won't stop moving

Kingswood won't stop moving

Aussie rockers roll into the Northern Rivers this weekend

Winter cold snap to sweep across NSW

Winter cold snap to sweep across NSW

This may not be the last we’ve seen of the cold this year.

Local Partners