Seagulls captain Brad Davis.
Seagulls captain Brad Davis.

Desperate Wynnum Manly win battle of the seagulls

WYNNUM Manly's desperation proved to be more than a match for Tweed Heads' effort in their round 19 Queensland Cup match at Kougari Oval in Wynnum yesterday.

In a game that Tweed would rather forget, the Seagulls suffered a 32-20 loss to the home side and now find themselves under pressure to stay in the hunt for the finals with just three rounds to go.

It was a day when anything that could go wrong did and the signs were ominous from the start of the match when Tweed lost workhorse lock Ryan Simpkins to injury in the third minute.

“Ryan has been in such good form of late and his work around the ruck in both attack and defence was sorely missed,” a disappointed Seagulls captain Brad Davis said yesterday.

“He is a mainstay in our defensive patterns and his loss forced other players to have to step up and that in turn impacted on our attack.

“We created plenty of opportunities in the opening part of the match but just could not get the ball down over the tryline.”

Davis was far from pleased with the result but praised his players for their efforts, even if their execution let them down.

The much-vaunted Seagulls defence was there - except it was being shown by the Wynnum Seagulls, not Tweed.

The home side were forced to repel numerous raids on their line but the normally slick execution shown by Tweed in attack was lacking.

Wynnum took a 16-6 lead to the half time break with tries to David Georgiou, Aaron Gorrell and Shaun Cotter while Tweed centre Jordan Atkins crossed for the first of his two tries on the day. The second half opened much better for Tweed, who opened the scoring through winger Brenton Bowen to bring the score back to 16-10.

But that was as close as Tweed was going to get with Wynnum skipping away again with a second try to Georgiou and one to skipper Adam Brideson to see them in control at 26-10. Tweed never stopped trying and a try to winger Cameron White saw them close to 26-14.

Tweed was building momentum and looking like they were playing their way back into the match when second rower Kingi Akauola appeared to have scored next to the posts.

This would have made the score 24-20 with a conversion to come, but it was to be with the referee ruling a double movement.

Davis had a running battle with referee Justin Davis (no relation) all day with Tweed exasperated by some of his decisions.

A consolation try right on full time to Atkins saw the final score 32-20.

Among Tweed's best were Atkins and White while Davis led by example in defence.

In the FOGS Cup game, competition leaders Wynnum humiliated Tweed 66-0 while in the FOGS Colts, Tweed has moved into fourth spot with a 42-16 win over the home side.

In other Queensland Cup matches, the Northern Pride belted Easts 54-10, Souths Logan won a close one over Redcliffe 22-18, Burleigh went down to Ipswich 26-18 and Mackay ws defeated 28-16 by the Central Comets in Mackay.

Tweed paedophiles going unmonitored

Tweed paedophiles going unmonitored

Whereabouts of 200 offenders is currently unknown.

Political candidate praised after heroic citizen's arrest

Political candidate praised after heroic citizen's arrest

State Labor candidate for Tweed congratulated in Parliament.

Spring blooms set to blossom at annual flower show

Spring blooms set to blossom at annual flower show

Explosion of colour set to go on show

Local Partners