Bad batch of drugs suspected to be cause of CBD death
WARNING: This story contains images some people may find disturbing
POLICE have speculated a man found dead outside Centro Tweed Shopping Centre yesterday may have died as a result of a "bad batch of drugs".
The 45- to 55-year-old man, who police believe was homeless, was found lying on the footpath of Frances St, Tweed Heads, about 5.10am according to Tweed police duty officer Inspector Bobbie Cullen.
Insp Cullen said the death did not appear to be suspicious.
"Police have their suspicions about a bad batch of drugs getting around, being spread among the homeless community," she said.
Insp Cullen added no cause of death was confirmed and police would be waiting for the results of a toxicology screening.
Toxicology result return times vary depending on the matter, and police were unable to pinpoint when they would know more.
Insp Cullen said it was suspected the man was boarding at White Hall Lodge in Stuart St, Tweed Heads, before his body was found.
Tweed police Detective Inspector Brendon Cullen said it was unclear whether drugs were the cause of the man's death, but advised Tweed residents to steer clear of all illicit substances.
He was unable to confirm exactly what illicit drug police were referring to.