Protesters won't give up the fight
WITH legal action against Repco Rally Australia now abandoned, opponents of the event are focusing on peaceful demonstrations they hope will attract 5000 protesters.
Tweed Greens Party's Katie Milne is understood to have dropped all plans for further court challenges after her legal advocate, Al Oshlack, did not go ahead with an injunction in the NSW Land and Environment Court on Monday, following his failure last week to obtain an injunction in the Federal Court.
Today he is due to lodge submissions on costs before the Federal Court with rally organisers vowing to pursue Ms Milne for an amount “in the vicinity” of $26,000.
The No Rally Group meanwhile says it provided details of planned protests to police at a meeting on Monday night and have given police an estimate of 5000 people they believe will take part.
No Rally Group spokesperson Jenny Pearson said yesterday “large numbers of people will be lining the route at different marshalling points then going off to different areas” and outlined to police they intend to conduct peaceful protests.
“Large numbers of citizens believe their democracy has been undermined by the crushing of 12 laws for this event,” she said.
“We will be out at all the staging points.”