Father of two dies in crash

A DURANBAH father of two was killed on Saturday night when the car he was a passenger in hit a power pole.

About 10.30pm on Saturday night, police were called to Duranbah Road, about 15km south of Tweed Heads, after reports of a car leaving the road, a police statement said.

On arriving, police and ambulance found a Commodore sedan had hit a power pole, ejecting the passenger, a 30-year-old man, who died at the scene.

The 25-year-old driver was trapped because of his injuries and had to be released by emergency services. He was taken to The Tweed Hospital in a serious condition.

A spokesperson from the North Coast Area Health Service yesterday said the man was in a stable condition in the hospital’s surgical ward.

A third man was also taken by ambulance to The Tweed Hospital suffering from minor injuries. He was discharged yesterday morning, the NCAHS spokesperson said.

Tweed Heads Police and the Ballina Crash Investigation Unit are investigating the circumstances leading up to the crash.

Anyone who may have seen the royal blue Commodore travelling along Duranbah Road prior to the crash should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. All information will be treated in strict confidence.

At the time of going to press, the New South Wales holiday road toll stood at 10.

While the number of offences being detected by police is down on last year, Traffic Services Commander John Hartley said the current death toll is evidence some people are still taking risks.

“Ten people killed on the roads in little more than 48 hours is horrific for the emergency services who responded to those incidents and devastating for the loved ones they leave behind,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

“Seven of those deaths have occurred in single- vehicle crashes, where the vehicle has either rolled or struck a stationary object such as a tree, power pole or fence.

“I’m deeply saddened and horrified at this senseless loss of life and my heart goes out to the 10 families who will be without their loved ones this Christmas.

Assistant Commissioner Hartley appealed for motorists to think twice before doing something stupid behind the wheel of their car.

“You don’t want to be the next statistic,” he said.

The annual traffic enforcement campaign “Operation Safe Arrival” commenced on Friday, with extra police deployed across the state to catch motorists breaking the law.

Speeding and seatbelt offences will incur double demerit points from Wednesday until January 3.

On the first day of the operation, officers conducted 22,827 breath tests, resulting in 28 people being charged with drink-driving offences.

So far, police have issued 1515 infringements for speeding and 1597 for other traffic offences.

Operation Safe Arrival concludes at midnight on January 3.



Space-age reaches the Tweed

Space-age reaches the Tweed

Unique Duranbah Hill home nears completion.

Tweed rallies to help sick Caitlin

Tweed rallies to help sick Caitlin

Can you spare a few dollars?

Local Partners