Father of three angry after surgery postponed
A MOORE Park Beach man claims two hospital bungles have meant surgery to remove a cancerous lump has been postponed.
Ken Reid, 34, said he was upset and angry when he arrived at Bundaberg Hospital yesterday morning with his three kids in tow only to be told his operation had been postponed.
"I turned up for surgery this morning and I was told my contact details had been lost so they couldn't let me know that the operation had been cancelled," he said.
"And now the surgeon that was supposed to do the surgery is on leave."
Mr Reid said he had been advised that his new surgery date would be August 20 but was not confident.
"I have no faith at all," he said.
"They have given me another appointment but I have to rebook everything."
Mr Reid said he was adamant he had filled in all the required paper work correctly.
"I was in there when I did my pre-admission and they confirmed my phone number and everything," he said.
"I was already stressed out about the surgery and this just added to it."
Mr Reid said the latest hold-up came on top of another mistake regarding his operation earlier in the year.
"About March my doctor referred me to a surgeon at Bundaberg Hospital and because of the size of the lump said it should be removed within three months," he said.
"I didn't hear anything from the hospital in that time and rang them back and apparently the wrong details were on my file and it said a waiting time of a year instead of three months."
Mr Reid said with a strong family history of cancer, the whole ordeal had taken its toll on him mentally.
"I had my daughter sleeping next to me on Sunday night because she was scared to be without me," he said.
"My kids all took the day off school yesterday because they wanted to be there for me when I woke up from the operation."
The NewsMail was not able to get comment from Queensland Health on Mr Reid's claims.