Fight against late-night violence
GOLD Coast City Council has joined the fight to curb late-night violence in Coolangatta.
The council launched a major awareness campaign in Coolangatta this month aimed at ensuring visitors to the nightclub strip get home safely this festive season.
The “Get Home Safely” initiative focuses on reducing the number of pedestrian accidents and assaults by providing information on late night public transport options.
However, in the holiday period so far two men have been the victims of bashings, one an on-duty police officer and the other an Australian Defence Force soldier.
Coolangatta councillor Chris Robbins said intoxicated pedestrians who attempted to walk home put themselves at risk.
“Drink-walking, crashes and assaults occur mostly at night and at the end of the week, in and around licensed premises,” Ms Robbins said.
“This campaign is focused on encouraging people to have a transport plan in place when they visit Coolangatta’s nightspots. It’s about making sure patrons know what transport options are available and helping them to avoid taking unnecessary risks.
“Council is committed to ensuring a safe and welcoming city, and this initiative also focuses on improving amenities for local residents by reducing levels of noise, litter and wilful damage to properties caused by intoxicated pedestrians.”
The campaign complements other safety initiatives, including a secure taxi rank being trialled by the Department of Transport and Main Roads and Gold Coast Cabs.
The secure taxi rank, located on Marine Parade, is staffed by a taxi rank marshal and security guard on Friday and Saturday nights, from midnight to 5am.
The Get Home Safely project has the support of the Queensland Police Service, Gold Coast Cabs, TransLink and the Gold Coast Liquor Industry Consultative Association. Visit www.goldcoastcity.com.au/homesafely.