Home suffers smoke damage after fire starts in child's room

A MATTRESS set on fire by a young child in an Oakey was extinguished by the time fire crews arrived at the scene.

A Queensland Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said crews arrived at the Werth St home about 8.30am after receiving reports of a house fire.

On arrival, two firefighters in breathing equipment removed the mattress from the house before ventilating the premises.

The spokeswoman said no one was injured in the fire.

Crews monitored the carbon levels in the home which was significantly damaged by smoke.

Police and ambulance crews also attended the scene.



Schoolboys shine in Australian champs at Cudgen

Schoolboys shine in Australian champs at Cudgen

National championships held in Tweed declared a resounding success

Chinderah's $7.25 million shopping village green-lighted

Chinderah's $7.25 million shopping village green-lighted

Councillors voted 5-2 in favour of the concept development

The best IGA manager in Australia comes from Tweed Valley

The best IGA manager in Australia comes from Tweed Valley

Tweed Valley's got the very best running things

Local Partners