An image taken Sunday, Jan. 4, 2015 shows farmer Sam Randell checking bush fire damage on his Gumeracha, Adelaide Hills property. Fires swept across the hills destroying property and farmland. (AAP image/Russell Millard
An image taken Sunday, Jan. 4, 2015 shows farmer Sam Randell checking bush fire damage on his Gumeracha, Adelaide Hills property. Fires swept across the hills destroying property and farmland. (AAP image/Russell Millard RUSSELL MILLARD

Fires continue to pose risk to SA residents

BUSHFIRES continue to burn out of control in the Adelaide Hills as authorities race to contain them ahead of scorching weather predicted later this week.

The fires have destroyed up to 32 homes and injured 29 people, mostly firefighters since the fires broke out late last week.

More than 500 firefighters from South Australia, New South Wales and Victoria are battling to contain three fire fronts before the temperature in Adelaide surges to the late 30s tomorrow and Wednesday.

Authorities have described the catastrophic fire conditions experienced at the weekend as the worst conditions since the 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires that claimed the lives of 75 people in South Australia and Victoria.

The fires continues to pose a risk to residents in towns including One Tree Hill, Humbug Scrub, Mount Crawford, Kersbrook, Birdwood, Gumeracha, Kenton Valley, Cudlee Creek and Inglewood.

A watch and act alert is active for the Sampson Flat bushfire in the Mount Lofty ranges that has been burning since last Friday and has claimed 13,000ha of bush and farmland.

Federal Justice Michael Keenan said on Monday disaster assistance had been made available to those affected by the Sampson Flat bushfire.

He said people who have been impacted can now access emergency grants of up to $280 per adult and $140 per child to a maximum of $700 per family to assist with essential items such as food and clothing.

South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill said the bushfires were the worst to hit the state in more than a decade and the crisis was far from over.

Crews had increased their efforts against the bushfire from the air in a bid to get some control before the weather worsened.

- APN NEWSDESK



Kingscliff's three-storey height limit set to be overturned

Kingscliff's three-storey height limit set to be overturned

Delays in planning change create headache for council

Gig Guide: what's on this week

Gig Guide: what's on this week

Check out what's going on in the live music scene across the Tweed

Investing Coyne in excellence

Investing Coyne in excellence

Local school hires guru to help athletes in and out of the arena

Local Partners