Food firms cop a second look
MORE than half of the food businesses inspected in the Tweed earlier this year had to be re-examined according to a new report.
Out of the initial 334 inspections in Tweed, 152 were found to be satisfactory but the remaining 182 required re-inspection.
Of those, only 99 were found to be satisfactory following the second inspection.
The details, revealed by the New South Wales Food Authority this week, is the first comprehensive annual report card detailing the amount of food inspections, fines and prosecutions handed down in every council across the state.
NSW Primary Industries minister Steve Whan said more than 56,000 inspections were carried out across the state.
“This is the most comprehensive report card of food inspection activity ever complied in Australia and the NSW Government is determined to provide consumers with as much information as possible,” Mr Whan said.
“This report card reveals the system is working, the food businesses which do the wrong thing are being issued with a warning, fine or they are prosecuted.”
The report showed 10 per cent of food businesses in the state did not comply with the standards and required ongoing intervention.
The most complaints state-wide were related to hygiene and handling issues.
There were 20 complaints made in the Tweed between January 1 and June 30.
Of those, six were related to hygiene and handling.
An amendment in the Food Act will from next year make a food handler training program mandatory.
In the Tweed, 22 warning letters were issued.
There were no penalty notices issued or prohibition orders served.